Hide this page


What to do if you are worried about a child



Members of the Public

In an emergency please call the Police on 999 

If you are worried a child is, or at risk of, suffering, neglect or abuse please contact the Children's Reception Team on 0300 300 0117 (available 24 hours a day).

You do not need to know everything about the child before contacting the Children's Reception Team.
If you are concerned, it is important that you talk to someone about this.
Any concern about a child should go directly to the Children's Reception Team and not be sent to us, the Isle of Wight Safeguarding Children Partnership (IOWSCP)





In an emergency please call the Police on 999

To report child welfare or safeguarding concerns please complete the Inter-Agency Referral Form (IARF). This is the most effective way of referring.

The Isle of Wight Thresholds Chart can help you identify the risks and types of services a family may need.
For urgent child protection enquiries, professionals can call 0300 300 0901 or 0300 555 1373 out of hours.
Please find here some FAQs about the Children's Reception Team (CRT) and Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).
To share non-urgent information with the Police, please complete a CPI form (Community Partnership Information form)

P le ase  contact the Isle of Wight Council's Children's Social Care on 0300 300 0901 f or any of the following queries ( we are unable to assist with these) :

  • Safeguarding concerns
  • Safeguarding checks
  • Whether an adult/family is known to social care
  • Who a child's social worker is
  • An update on an Inter-agency Referral Form you have completed
  • Escalating safeguarding concerns



Worried about an adult

Anyone can raise a safeguarding concern about an adult who is believed to have care and support needs and is at risk of or experiencing abuse and neglect (including self-neglect) by contacting 01983 814980 or by completing an alert form

This form is for use by professionals from any agency to raise a safeguarding concern to Adult Social Care about an adult (age over 18) who is believed to have care and support needs and is at risk of abuse or neglect (including self-neglect).
Further information about safeguarding adults and the Alert Form can be found on the IOW Safeguarding Adults Board website