Hide this page

Community and Voluntary Organisations

Safeguarding Children is everyone's responsibility.  Every single person who comes into contact with children and families has a role to play. Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is protecting children from maltreatment. To find out more about what child abuse is and how to keep children protected visit: NSPCC - What is child abuse

Raising concerns 

If you are worried that a child is at risk of, or suffering, neglect or abuse please contact the Children’s Reception Team on 0300 300 0117 (available 24 hours a day). 

In an emergency always call the Police on 999.

  • You do not need to know everything about the child before contacting the Children's Reception Team (CRT). If you are concerned, it is important that you talk to someone about this.
  • Further information about reporting a concern or what happens after you have contacted the CRT can be found here: Concerned about a child - Service Details (iow.gov.uk)

Community Partnership Information Sharing Form (CPI)

The CPI form is a way for those working with children to share non-urgent information with the police relating to children/adults at risk. Information can relate to (but is not limited to):

  • Missing, exploited trafficked children
  • Child sexual or criminal exploitation
  • Drug related harm
  • Modern day slavery
  • Community cohesion
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Organised crime

The CPI form can be used for anything you feel the need to share with police, providing it does not amount to a crime or a safeguarding issue.

The information submitted helps the police to develop a clearer picture of local and wider issues, to inform actions Police need to take to reduce threat, harm and risk. Those working with children may have/hear information which, often without realising, could provide crucial links where gaps in intelligence might exist.

Further information on the CPI form can be found on the following links:


DBS checks

  • Checks you can make on someone's record as an employer - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
  • DBS application process for volunteers - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)


Allegations against people in a position of trust

If you believe that a child has been harmed by a person in a position of trust, you should contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO).

A person in a position of trust includes anyone who works with children in the course of their employment or in a voluntary capacity.

The LADO should be advised of all cases where it is alleged that a person who works with children has:

  • Behaved in a way that has harmed, or may have harmed, a child
  • Possibly committed a criminal offence against, or related to, a child
  • Behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicated s/he is unsuitable to work with children

Further information can be found on the IOWSCP’s website:  Allegations against staff: Isle of Wight Safeguarding Children Partnership

The LADO service can be contacted on 01962 876364 , or child.protection@hants.gov.uk

Worried about a child poster

Click on the image to download and use the Worried About A Child poster