Hide this page

Children and Young People

Every family is different, but all children should be kept safe, feel loved, and get an education. All children need to feel safe and have rules and boundaries.

Most parents/carers do everything they can to look after their children, but some may have difficulties with this and there are adults whose job it is to help them with that.

Most parents/carers do everything they can to protect their children and make sure they’re brought up in a loving and caring environment, but families can sometimes have difficulties and children may suffer as a result.

All adults need to keep children safe and if an adult is worried about a child, they must do something about this.

Being badly treated or abused is defined as Neglect, Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse or Sexual Abuse.


When you are not being looked after properly, for example, not getting enough to eat or being left alone in dangerous situations or not being taken to see the Doctor or Nurse.

Find Out More

Physical Abuse

When an adult hurts you on purpose, such as hits, shakes, throws things at you, burns you or hurts you in any way.

Find Out More

Emotional Abuse

When you are being unfairly blamed for everythingg, or told you are stupid and made to feel unhappy.

Find Out More

Sexual Abuse

When you are pressured or forced into sexual activities, taking rude photos, being ouched in a way you don't like or being forced to watch something sexual.

Find Out More

Domestic Violence

When a member of your family threatens, bullies or hurts another adult or child.

Find Out More


When someone hurts you by calling you names, spreding rumours about you or getting you into ttrouble. This can happen in person or online.

Find Out More

Children say that they want:

  • Adults to notice when things are worrying them, to understand, to listen and to help
  • To have stable and trusting relationships with adults who are helping them
  • To be respected, and told about decisions that may affect them
  • To be listened to, have their views taken seriously and be involved in making any decisions
  • To have someone help them put their views forward if they need it

Worried About A Child or Friend or Do You Need Help?

Children’s Reception Team
(IOW Social Care)

Phone Number: 0300 300 0117. Call any time day or night

Report your concerns about yourself, a child or friend to Children’s Reception Team (IOW Social Care)


If there is immediate danger call 999

Phone Number: 0808 800 5000 or if you are 18 or under call 0800 11 11

A leading children's charity fighting to end child abuse in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. They help children who have been abused to rebuild their lives, protect those at risk, and find the best ways of preventing abuse from ever happening.

Phone Number: 0800 11 11

A free, private and confidential service where you can be you. Whatever your worry, whenever you need help, however you want to get in touch. We're here for you online, on the phone, anytime.

Phone Number: 116 123 (Free) or email jo@samaritans.org

They provide a safe place to talk anytime about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.